Why use Dynamics GP Cloud Hosting in Canada
Should I use Dynamics GP Cloud Hosting in Canada?
First of all, yes you can have your on-premise server-based software hosted in a Dynamics GP Cloud.
There are a variety of flavours of “Cloud”. The two main ones that we recommend are Public Cloud (Microsoft Azure) or Private Cloud (Endeavour’s Cloud hosting partner).
For today’s insight, lets focus on the Private Cloud, as the Azure public cloud is currently geared more towards technical IT needs.
So, what is the difference between a private cloud and what you may have now?
It depends on what you have now. If your current Microsoft Dynamics GP or Dynamics CRM server-based software is already hosted off-site at a 3rd party data centre, the two may be roughly the same, just a different billing model (per user fee vs a list of monthly service fees) and potentially a different set of support services.
If your current Microsoft Dynamics GP or Dynamics CRM server-based software is hosted in an “IT closet” at your office, there is a good chance that moving to a Private Cloud may be quite a bit different – and well worth considering.
Some of the high level differences between cloud and internal hosting include:
- For CRM web clients, the user experience would be roughly the same, though mobile access may be easier to setup via a private cloud.
- If you are using the Dynamics GP desktop clients, you will need to RDP (remote desktop) into the server for the private cloud, many clients are already doing this rather than a full direct-connect.
- For GP web client and remote access from a home office, this will be easier via a private cloud.
- The firewall, anti-virus and other security measures are almost always better in a private cloud.
- In terms of Risk, typically the private cloud is a safer bet.
- Better disaster recovery, better back-up and better restore times.
- Better physical security, better cyber-security and better fire protection.
- Often a greater level of IT monitoring and loading of periodic windows and security patches.
- Performance may also be better with cloud depending on the specifications and age of your current infrastructure
Does Private Cloud hosting cost more?
The short answer is “Maybe”, (see Endeavour Canadain GP Private Cloud Price)
The long answer is often a resounding “No”, once other costs/risks are considered.
The top costs to consider are:
- The IT support services that you use to monitor and maintain your IT infrastructure.
- The back-up and off-site storage protocols that you have in place.
- The ongoing physical security, cyber-security and protection efforts employed.
- The level of Risk you are prepared to assume, the consequences and cost of a potential breach (ie Ransomware or theft of customer data)
If your IT team is highly skilled and are backed by a healthy budget, then a private cloud will often cost less, however if your IT team is running on a shoestring budget, or are seen as a sunk cost, then, yes a Private Cloud will be seen as costing more – but may be worth it in terms of reduced risk.
Beware of deals (e-mail SPAM) that are Too Good – To Be True (TG-TBT), as they probably are!
To Good to be True # 1 – Free migration, GP migration with no ISV’s, with free online training.
- Migration excluding ISV’s (3rd party products) is of little use as most rely on ISV products.
- Free online training is on CustomerSource. Endeavour has many free recorded webinars.
- Training and support for your business processes and specific configuration is better via Endeavour Support.
To Good to be True # 2 – Low cost introductory Azure hosting. Our technical team has looked extensively at this.
- When 24×7 performance and various consumption fee’s add up, costs are double the introductory fees.
- Dynamics GP needs additional server(s) power and memory for remote desktop, for MR and for some of the more complex modules and ISV’s.
To Good to be True # 3 – Dynamics GP in the Cloud as an all-in subscription with no software maintenance.
- This is smoke and mirrors unless you are 100% vanilla GP with no ISV and no significant configurations.
- This scenario is essentially a net new implementation with high costs to configure to your needs, which I assume are already being met. (if you need help contact support)
- With current Microsoft prices, moving from a perpetual concurrent user license to a per-named-user subscription license will cost more in the long run.
The Answer is: Embrace the Endeavour Private Cloud, for those clients where Cloud is a good fit.
Learn more and see PRICE for Endeavour GP Cloud Hosting in Canada https://www.endeavoursolutions.ca/GPcloud
We look forward to hearing from you.
PS, we can also help with GP support and GP Cloud hosting in the United States.